Friday, March 11, 2011

I met a blind man today who helped me see

On my way to work this morning I saw a blind man at the corner waiting to cross the street.  He called out "could somebody tell me when the light changes?"  Several shied away.  Several others nodded.  I spoke up.  He shook off my hand as I offered to guide him.  "Oh no, I can walk on my own.  I just need a pair of eyes every once in a while to tell me when the light changes." 

"Don't we all," I thought.

There but for the grace of God go I.  How this man manage to survive in a city of speeding cars and bustling people, of endless blocks where I, with 20/20 vision, get lost from time to time?  It  is beyond me.  But he does it every single day of his life.

I thought to myself, "If this man gets out of bed and comes into the streets without sight, then I have no excuses for not rising to the challenges of today." 

I thought to myself "how does he do it?"  But the answer was right in front of me.  He trusts. 

This morning a blind man helped me see. 

I thank him for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment